In terms of massage therapy services out there, Ashiatsu is one of the most popular services there is. If you’re looking for the ashiatsu, Portland, Oregon has several options. The truth is, this style of massage that really get into those tight knots and sore muscles, making it great for pain relief for neck, shoulder and back massage but the question remains: is Ashiatsu massage safe?
The answer is it totally depends.
What is Ashiatsu Massage?
During Ashiatsu, known in the industry as “ashi”, the therapist uses their feet to apply pressure to the muscle tissue while hanging from support beams. Ashiatsu massage, just like any style of massage is a safe and beneficial massage technique. However, because your practitioner is often hanging from bars on the ceiling, and doing deep pressure, it can be an intense massage experience. There are many places in Portland that offer this cinematic, movie style massage but at IMMERSE Massage we use different, more effective techniques.
The biggest safety concern with Ashiatsu massage is the fact that the therapist may not be strong enough to hold themselves up above you, slip, fall and put too much pressure on your back. Make sure to be very clear with your therapist about what kind of pressure you are comfortable with and communicate it clearly before your massage begins to avoid any safety concerns. Also be sure to communicate with your therapist, if you decide to go this route for your massage journey, throughout the massage, let your therapist know if the pressure is too much.
Another potential issue could be that they fall if their feet get too slippery, and sometimes your therapist will wear grip socks or shoes to help prevent the massage from getting too slick.
With proper precautions, it can provide a deep, therapeutic massage that can help relieve muscle tension and soreness. So if you’re looking for a massage that really gets into those tight knots and sore muscles without the safety concern, you may try our therapeutic massage at IMMERSE Modern Massaage.
Ashiatsu Massage Benefits
As an educational resource for our clients who may not want to go the traditional route, are try out Ashiatsu massage, which we will outline some of the benefits below:
1. Deep Pressure: Because ashiatsu massage is applied by the therapist’s feet, which can cover more surface area than the hands may, it allows for a deep massage that can be potentially harmful or dangerous, but like all massage can be beneficial for getting the body to relax, and rejuvenate sore and tight muscles.
2. Increased Blood Flow: Just like any massage, ashiatsu helps increase the blood flow and circulation to the areas worked on which can lead to improved energy in the body, increased muscle recovery, and overall decreased pain.
3. Stress Relief: This style of massage is great for relieving stress and tension which may be one of the best benefits, as long as your practitioner helps you to relax your body and isn’t making you more tense by applying too much pressure.
4. Improved Flexibility: Massage in genneral can help your body be more supple, stretching and lengthening muscles, which may increase flexibility.
How Beneficial Is Deep Tissue Massage?
Benefits of Deep Tissue Massage:
Benefits of deep tissue massage may include:
1. Reduced muscle tension: Because deep tissue massage can help to relax tight muscles and improve range of motion, it can reduce muscle tension and improve your body’s mobility and flexibility.
2. Improved circulation: Deep tissue massage may also work to help increase blood flow, which can help reduce inflammation, improve cell reproduction, and muscle recovery, speeding up the healing process of the body.
3. Stress relief: Deep tissue massage helps to reduce stress hormones in the body like cortisol, dropping the nervous system into parasympathetic response, which can improve overall mood and reduce feelings of anxiety and depression, improving digestion and sleep.
4. Pain relief: Deep tissue massage may also help to reduce pain and discomfort, which makes it beneficial for chronic conditions such as fibromyalgia, injuries, and post surgery rehabilitation.
Is Deep Tissue Massage Good For You?
When it comes to massage therapy, deep tissue massage is often recommended for chronic pain, muscle tension, and injuries. This style of massage is offered at spas and in chiropractic and even medical settings But is deep tissue massage really good for you? The answer to this question is yes, but similarly to ashiatsu, while there are benefits, there are also risks.
Deep tissue massage is an effective way to reduce stress, improve circulation, and relieve pain. As long as your therapist is working with your body, and not against it’s ability to relax by applying pressure on specific areas of tension with not too much pressure, it can be extremely beneficial. It works by applying pressure to muscle and connective tissue, including tendons and fascia which helps break up adhesions (or knots). Adhesions are basically tight fascia and muscle tissue stuck together. This happens from a sedentary lifestyle, or from injuries or poor posture.
Why Deep Tissue Massages Are Good For You
Studies have shown that deep tissue massage can improve joint mobility, especially around joints that aren’t moving a whole lot due to lifestyle, sitting or standing for long periods of time creating more tension. It can also reduce inflammation by improving cellular reproduction and increasing circulation, and it can even help to relieve depression, anxiety and improve overall well-being.
If you are experiencing these issues, it can prevent you from enjoying a high quality of life due to these injuries getting in the way of you being able to enjoy activities you love. Deep tissue massage can also help improve posture by treating the source of tension, reduce fatigue related to poor muscle recovery or sleep disturbances. In addition, deep tissue massage can help improve flexibility, and reduce the risk of repetitive strain injuries and other injuries occurring in the future due to being able to help your body recover quicker from stress.
Deep Tissue Massage Side Effects
It’s definitely recommended that you take things easy after your deep tissue massage therapy session. Let’s discuss some of the common side effects of deep tissue massage. These include temporary soreness or stiffness where you received your work on your body, general tiredness due to parasympathetic nervous system response, which may leave you feeling slightly lightheaded. For that reason, it’s recommended to eat a small meal afterwards, to increase your blood sugar.
How Often Should You Get Massage?
When it comes to massage, one of the most common questions to consider is how often you should get massage. The frequency between massage therapy sessions depends on your health goals, your lifestyle, and your budget.
Massage For Chronic Pain?
For those looking for relief from pain or tension, once a week or bi monthly massage is typically recommended. This can be especially beneficial for those people who are dealing with chronic pain that is not responding to other treatments like chiropractic, physical therapy or acupuncture. Regular massage has been proven to be an exceptional treatment for treating pain and making sure that it doesn’t come back, as long as a certain treatment plan is in place to help you overcome it, and you are working in between sessions to based on your therapist’s recommendations to address the root cause, and not just treat the symptoms.
Massage For Wellness?
For those looking for more wellness or maintenance massage, once every three to four weeks or even once a quarter may be more appropriate. Massage therapy can be exactly what you need in a wellness regimen to provide much needed time for decompression from your the stresses of life, for self-care and for relaxation.
If you are considering massage therapy as a part of your health and wellness routine, it’s important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to massage as everyone is different. Everyone has varying levels of tension, pain, and severity of symptoms and will therefore benefit differently with different frequencies between sessions.
Talk To Your Therapist For The Right Plan of Care
It’s important to talk to your massage therapist about your individual needs and goals for massage as this can greatly influence what frequency you should be getting treatments. Your massage therapist at IMMERSE Modern Massage can provide specific advice on how often you should receive massage therapy, and will help you to determine what the best schedule will be for you.
What To Do After A Massage
If you‘ve just had a massage, congratulations on starting your journey to health and wellness! Massage is a great way to relax and address a number of health issues. But what should you do after a massage to make sure you receive the most benefit from the work?
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your massage experience.
1. Drink Plenty of Water. Drinking water helps to flush out toxins from your body that may have be released from muscles and areas of your body receiving new circulation. It also helps to keep your muscles hydrated, which is especially important if you were getting any sort of regular massage. Aim to drink at least 8 ounces of water after your massage to make sure your body gets enough hydration.
2. Avoid Alcohol and Caffeine. Alcohol and caffeine can interfere with the benefits of your massage because of their vasoconstrictive properties and increase of inflammation. Both can reduce circulation in your body and can make it harder for your body to eliminate toxins. So, if you‘re looking to make the most out of your massage, it‘s best to avoid alcohol and caffeine for at least 24-72 hours after your massage to make sure your body and digestive organs can make it through the cleansing period while not causing your body’s systems any unnecessary strain.
3. Rest. Massage is a great way to help you relax and unwind, but those benefits can be sideswiped by getting into stressful situations too quickly after your session. Make the most of the relaxation benefits by taking some time to rest and relax after your massage. Don‘t rush back to work or plan an intense workout right after your massage, as these can undermine the efforts your massage therapist made to help your body unwind and relax. Instead, take the time to just sit back and enjoy the relaxed feeling. Recommended activities would be tea, reading a book, watching a movie, going on a gentle walk, or doing yoga or other stretching
4. Stretch Stretching. after a massage can be incredibly beneficial by helping reduce muscle tension and improving the benefit of flexibility that massage has on the body. It also helps to reduce the risk of injury from returning after your treatment. Taking some time to do some gentle stretching after your massage can prove to be an exceptional way to maintain your sense of independence, which is our main goal at IMMERSE Modern Massaeg.
5. Follow Up with Your Massage Therapist. If you were working with a massage therapist and they created a treatment plan with you, it‘s important to follow their recommendations and kee up with them after your massage. Ask your therapist how you should care for your body and if there are any specific stretches or exercises you should be doing to maintain your body, or meet your pain, discomfort or other wellness goals. This can help ensure that you get the most out of your massage and that pain doesn’t come back.
Following these tips can bulletproof your progress and make it so you get most out of your massage experience at IMMERSE Modern Massage. So, take some time to relax, drink plenty of water, do your yoga, and follow up with your massage therapist. With regular treatments, and by doing this, it will ensure that you feel the benefits of your massage for days, months and even years to come!
Best Massage Portland, Oregon
At IMMERSE Modern Massage, we are the best massage Portland, Oregon has to offer by providing personalized treatment, a proven process for relieving pain and discomfort, and providing you with the highest quality service in the city.
5+ Best Sound Bowls and Sound Healing Instruments of 2023
They say that in the beginning, there was a sound – and then the whole universe emerged from a single point. Sound healing has been
The Importance of Acupuncture And Massage for Back Pain
Acupuncture and Massage Relieves Back Pain At Sirona Integrative Health, Hannah Grice understands that back pain can be debilitating and preventing you from living
7 Simple Steps To Overcome Low Back Pain
In this blog post on back pain I share with you 7 simple strategies you can use to ease your back pain – some
Top 10 Relaxing Things To Do In Portland
1. Top 10 Relaxing Things to do in Portland: a. Take a Slow Boat Ride on the Willamette River b. Visit the Portland Japanese Garden
Natural Migraine Relief – Massage Therapy & NUCCA Upper Cervical Chiropractic
If you’re looking for the best chiropractor Portland has to offer for treatment of migraines and neck pain related issues, look no further than an
Best Massage Tables of 2023
If you are looking for the very best massage tables in 2023, look no further as this will be your all in one post for